May Recap+ A New School Year


Hey everyone. So, summer's done for me and, I start a new school year. Hard to believe that it would be my second year of online schooling. In all of this, I seem to have forgotten how I was going to school, seeing my friends physically, writing offline exams. It all lies in an unnerving chasm now...

I am both excited and nervous to get back to school. It isn't any different from my summer routine except that instead of writing on my laptop, I will be seeing my teacher's presentations. So I guess it won't be like a major change as it used to be, a few years ago.  

A few days back the sections were given by my school and it was a frenzied day. My friends were calling me continuously- we wept if we weren't in the same class but rejoiced if we were together. The same thing repeated when we got to know our teachers. So many tears and laughs 😊

I have got a headstart on my lessons and I am quite ready! I can't wait to see what this year unfolds. 



And also half of 2021 has passed, already!!! My oh my, time never slows down, does it? 😅 

Here are the things I did in May! 


Leisure- Books&TV


I read 14 books (one less than how much I read in April)! Still a good feat! I have taken up the 2021 Reading Challenge and it seems to be going well :). Even with the upcoming school work and assignments, I am going to try my level best to adhere to the challenge. 
This month, I read many ebooks. Though I prefer paperbacks, due to the lockdown, I couldn't visit a library :(

I read:
  • The Time Traveller's Wife- Audrey Niffenegger
  • The Murder on the Links- Agatha Christie
  • The Kite Runner- Khaled Housseini
  • My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions- Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam 
  • The Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux 
  • Antony and Cleopatra- William Shakespeare 
  • Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen 
  • Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less- Jeffrey Archer
  • A Mind for Numbers- Dr. Barbara Oakley
  • Animal Farm- George Orwell
  • Man's Search for Meaning- Viktor Frankl 

Mostly Classics, Mystery, Romance, 2 Autobiographies, and 1 Non-Fic. 

Right now I am re-reading The House on Mango Street. I read the book for the first time around last year, and I was motivated to read it again because it is just so poignant! Filled with vignettes and reflections of a young girl, the book is very profound! A must-read and re-read. 





TV Shows// 
I am watching this OUTSTANDING series called Downton Abbey, which is set in 1910-1920s that is based on an Aristocratic Family, the Crawleys, and how they adjust to the modernizing world! I just love the show so much!! It is unlike any other period drama, I have watched. 
It commences with the potential heirs of the family estate- Downton Abbey, losing their lives in the sinking of the Titanic. Then the family scurries to get Matthew, the other heir, who rejects their way of life. The show features other historical moments like WW I, the Spanish Flu, the Irish War of Independence, and many more leading to the eventual decline in British Aristocracy. 
An amazing show! 



I am also watching Modern Family, a hilarious sitcom that features a crazy family after Jay marries a younger woman (the same age as his children) who has a pre-teen child of her own! A quirky situation indeed! 




Bloggin'!


I published 5 posts in May! Not bad!! 

April Recap: Just another monthly recap🌷
May the Fourth Be With You!: A post where I express my love for Star Wars on Star Wars Day!! 
Looking Back- 2020: An old essay I had written rambling about the beginning days of the pandemic
Finding the Bright Side: Where I feature my poem that was published on This Teenage Life
Twenty Years Older- A Letter Tag: A letter written by 20 years older me on how the future will be :D

I reached another milestone! 50 posts!! Well, this is 51😅. 

Also, my WordPress blog reached 150 followers!!! YAYYYYY! 





Snippets 


I enjoyed every bit of summer vacation. Mostly watching TV, reading, writing, and talking to my friends. The lockdown is still very much there, but I am accustomed to it and now I am very much okay just staying at home. 

The one thing I am proud of doing this summer vacation is cooking with my grandmother. She makes the most delicious and exceptional foods! Yummy! I was extremely elated when she agreed to teach me some basic recipes and give her secrets (hehe). So, now I help her make lunch and dinner! 

She taught me to make Rasam (which is like a spicy soup, that is very tasty), roll out a perfect Chapathi (no more parallelograms🤣), cook rice, make tea and so much more!! I look forward to the times when I cook with her 💕



I may not be able to cook with her every day after school starts, but I am forever grateful for all the things my grandmother taught me! :) 

🎶I also listened to Olivia Rodrigo's album: Sour which was just *speechless.* I loved the Taylor Swift vibes in the album and I got to say, her songwriting skills are top-notch!!! My favorite songs have to be 1 step forward 3 steps back and Good 4 U (& Driver's License of course!). 
Listen to the album right now, if you haven't! 





June!


My goal in June is to mainly manage my time well. With school, tuitions, hobbies, blogging, etc- I don't want to burn out and become a zombie. I don't want to give up anything just cause I am in a higher class now, so I am going to avoid delaying and just try to stay on top of things :) 

I will post in June, but it may not be much. 





Before I conclude, here is an excerpt of a beautiful poem written by William Cullen Bryant called 'June.'



Well, that's all. I hope you liked the post!! What did you do in May? What are your June goals? Is your summer done? Do you have a blog? 

Tell me in the comments! 😁
















Comments

  1. Wow! Nice post Maith! Animal farm is one of my favorites. What do you think of it?
    I am also nervous, as we have board exams this year. All the best for your school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too loved reading Animal Farm. I think Orwell did doo a great job personifying human behaviors into farm animals :).
      All the best for your boards!!!!
      Thanks for reading Vanya! <3

      Delete
  2. I loved Sour, too! And I'm also watching Modern Family. Great post! And here's to a great June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! Which was your favorite track? Modern Family is awesome (though I am still in season 3 xD).
      Thanks for reading Maya! <3
      Hope you have a good June too :)

      Delete
    2. Good 4 U and Drivers License will always be my fave! Ooh, you'll really enjoy it! I'm @ S.6 right now!

      Delete
    3. Ooo!!! They are masterpieces!
      I can't wait to see how Modern Family progresses :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts