Wandering Mystics

Hey everyone! It has been some time since I've shared my poetry, so today's post is a poem I wrote recently observing my surroundings. Near my house, sometimes in a year, a tribal family (belonging to the Potraj-Worship community) comes around to ask for alms. The people carry an idol who is adorned with many jewels and powders. In return for money, they give you blessings.
They are fervorous and show their extreme devotion to their Goddess by whipping themselves and beating on thunderous drums. When they come around, the whole locality is frightened yet, we all feel pity for them. 



As you know, this year the situation is different and yet these people came to ask for money. People were even more horrified to go near them as they weren't wearing any masks. I stood at my window, peering, and looked at this little boy who belonged to the family. He looked naive, sad, and just scurried behind his mother and father as they whipped and played the drums. He was confused about what to do and probably felt a little envious seeing all the neighborhood kids playing happily without any worries. So, I decided to write a poem by putting myself in his shoes, trying to think about how his life might be. Do leave a comment about the poem :) 

Wandering Mystics


I beat the drums to chimes of vigor,
I see my father,
Whip himself as sacrifice to the Goddess.
Blood ridden eyes,
Engulfed in thundering chants,

The things sought are paper and metal. 

My mother—carrier of the Divinity,
Guarding Her against atrocities of the universe,
Fearlessly putting her own life at bay,
She is blinded by age-old traditions.

We speak the words of an eerie Enigma,
In return for a whole stomach. 

Rain or shine, we are on the streets, 
I envy the ones who have warmth. 
My own being is put on hold, 
For I have to rejoice Her mercy. 

All the roads traveled,
All the people acquainted,
Gory ankles and stolen voices—as residue,
Linger around bringing dismay. 

I can show you the path to ecstasy,
Just promise me a mirthful life… 



Pic courtesy: (1), (2), (3)




Well, that's all. I hope you liked the poem? What are your thoughts? Any feedback? Have you seen this community? Do you have a blog? 

Tell me in the comments! 😁





 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts