Looking Back- 2020

Hey everyone.  I was just going through my files on my laptop and I found this document titled
"Life in Lockdown." It was an essay that I had written for a competition exactly one year ago and I had almost forgotten about it! In 2020, the first batch of the lockdown was commencing and the contest asked us to articulate how the lockdown was affecting us. So in about 1000 words, I sat to write it like a diary entry. 

Now, reading it after one year I have mixed feelings. I am in awe, literal awe, that one year flew past so quick! I am older now, more pensive & positive, and a totally different person. How did this even happen?

My writing skills have definitely improved, reading this gave me chuckles! I am quite sad that even after a whole year we are still in this lockdown situation even though we are now prepared (I am not as bored as last year). 

But reading this also gave me strange happiness. I have mentioned in this write-up that there wasn't any hope of a vaccine, but look at where the world is!! We now are equipped with vaccines that brought light to this darkness! Now one can truly predict that the virus will subside in the course of few months.  



Here is the unedited version of my essay: 


Lockdown Days - A Virtual Reality

In the month of January, I took part in a science competition where we had to make science projects pertaining to Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam’s vision for a better 2020. My project was a ‘Health Kit’ containing all materials related to personal hygiene like masks, sanitizers, gloves, bandages, etc, that would be supplied to our daily helpers. My project ended up winning the competition. Several people including myself were surprised by my winning as there were many futuristic projects like drones, biofuel, solar energy, etc. Today when I look back, my project makes a lot of sense, due to the problem we are facing right now.

‘Welcome to the Lockdown age’

My violin has been out of tune for over two months, since my teacher, who usually tunes it is terrified of the coronavirus. So much so that she isn’t ready to let anyone into her house, which is only a kilometer away from where I live.


Life was pretty normal before the pandemic; I was studying for my exams- getting stressed when the virus had just started. My friends started spreading rumors of the virus that was going to ‘destroy humanity,’ but I just considered them as fake. Fast forward a month to March, we finally got the news that the virus from Wuhan had come to the Indian Subcontinent. This is when my classmates started taking precautions. We stopped sharing lunch, sitting next to one another. We started regularly washing our hands and following every hygiene step we could imagine.

One fine day it was made clear that our exams will be canceled and EXTRA SUMMER VACATIONS!!! Boy, did we it, rejoice!! Our prayers had been answered, now we could go to camps, birthday parties, swimming, and much more… until,


Janata Curfew on 22nd March


Pic courtesy: Hindustan Times

My friend’s birthday was to be celebrated on that day, my friends and I were looking forward as we could finally meet, but a bomb was dropped on us- JANATA CURFEW! We were extremely disheartened and we cried about how the COVID- 19 was going to disintegrate our lives! However, on the bright side, we clapped for all the superheroes fighting against the virus. That showed the harmony of us Homo Sapiens that can help delete the virus.

 

Lockdown#1 25th March to 14th April



 It was official, the virus was extremely lethal and there was no vaccine known. This spread fear all throughout the Earth! Sanitizers and masks were selling at light speed, everyone locked themselves in their homes. I now understand how Anne Frank must have felt living in locked doors while outside was the Terror of their life. This time, for me at least I felt extremely bored and annoyed. I had so many plans in the summer and now I had to devise plans locked in four walls. No friends, no camp, no cousins, no classes, what was I to do? My only friend was the T.V at which I stared continuously at when my parents would be working from home. Masks had become normal now. I remember once when I had a cold, I had to wear a mask to play and everyone on the road was staring at me; now, without a mask, you get stared at!

My mom would consistently yell at me to maintain personal hygiene. Also, one of the best parts was on April 5th when we lit lamps in honor of the medical professionals fighting to save humanity. The streets looked like the stars on the Milky Way Galaxy. Glittering and held with HOPE…


Lockdown#2 -15th April to 3rd May



The next time PM Modi came on TV, I prayed that he would have good news and cancel the lockdown, but my fears had been released. The cases had doubled, and the lockdown was going to get extended. I just had to accept the truth and find ways to engage myself.

I took my parent's help and started a blog so that I can keep myself engaged by writing poems and stories. I also enrolled in an online course on astronomy in Coursera so that I could keep up with my interests. Also, I found a profound interest in chess lately, so I used to play online chess matches with my friends through websites. 

As humans, we are very resilient, and we can bounce back from any tough situation. The world of online classes had opened its doors. “No Music, no karate, no friends had all turned Yes! But this time Virtually…” All the classes that I had missed had started happening online through platforms like Zoom, Skype, and Duo. This is one of the greatest innovations of this time. Our school also announced that they would be starting online classes. Isn’t that going to be an amazing experience to fill in the pages of history? 

Even my friend’s birthday party was celebrated online with pomp and joy. Our gifts were in the form of Paytm coupons!! My father used to go out once a week to buy groceries, and one week when he got a few of the tiny biscuit packets- I can say that I have never ever been so happy to see biscuits ever in my life before. Online services like Amazon and Flipkart surely help now. To keep in touch with my cousins, I started a small storytelling session at night, where I tell them interesting science stories and give them small experiments to try out. I also learned the joy of baking when I learned to make cakes, cookies, and snacks. My mother and I have joined online Yoga classes where we enjoy doing Yoga together in the evenings. This outbreak has given a chance for everyone to bond with their families and make the most out of it.

Lockdown#3- 4th May to 17th May



Currently, on the sixth day of the lockdown, I have explored myself completely: developing my hobbies, discovering the best of technology, and having an overall development in soft skills by helping out my family in the daily work. It has definitely opened my eyes that no matter what humanity achieves or creates, we can never escape from maintaining personal health and hygiene. Home is where the heart lies. Even though it is an isolation from the world, it was an interaction with my brain. Now since the lockdown has eased, I could finally go to my violin teacher and get my violin tuned! 😊

The Coronavirus has definitely put the world on hooks but just as we humans have found solutions to other problems, 

We will surely sort this one out….


Reading this brought back memories. A lot of them. It was also a good read to find things to do in this lockdown😅
I think this quote is a good summary, 


But after all, we can't be stuck in the past as we have greater trails to tread. Continue following safety precautions, and staying secure. 
Let's all strive and wish for an incandescent future! 

    

Well, that's all. I hope you liked the post! Did you have a trip down memory lane? Do you think that you've changed? Any thoughts on how lives would have been without the lockdown? What are your reflections? Do you have a blog? 

Tell me in the comments! 😁






Comments

  1. Yes, that's really true. The situation here is terrible and every single day the news is worse: from oxygen shortages to the country not being transparent with numbers. I think the cause of the second wave is because after the first, some assumed the 'worst was over' and were slightly careless.

    We should have embraced ourselves. But we must all be strong and have hope for this too shall pass. This was such a great post, and I really enjoyed reading what you thought one year ago and now under the same circumstances <3

    ♥ Maya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh.* I get so many ads to help support India, and it just makes me feel so sad to see the situation we are currently in. But, everything isn't permanent, and there is a way out too....
      Yes, we shouldn't lose hope, no matter what.
      Thank you Maya! <3
      Hope you are staying safe 😊

      Delete
  2. Hi, You commented on my blog a while ago.
    Needless to say, you've described the situation very accurately.
    As hard as it gets what you said about looking out positively into the future makes a lot of sense.
    🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aanya! Thank you so much <3
      You're right! Optimism is never going to let us down😀

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts