Back to Normalcy?

I enjoy doing Karate: the swift techniques, use of weaponry, and self-defense give me confidence, and I have fun. Last year, I got my black belt after a tiresome examination, but I was never able to practice in it due to COVID-19. The lockdown caused a lot of things to come to a pause, including my karate classes. My sensei decided to conduct online classes during the summer holidays to make sure that we don't lose practice, but the online classes weren't going great (it is not viable to kick around in the house😂). I went till June, but when online school started, I stopped joining the Karate classes. I was kinda relieved 😆 at least, till the lockdown recedes I wouldn't have to do 2.5 hours of INTENSE practice every day, so I could relax. My parents continued to ask me to practice basic stuff like nunchakus and staff, but I just ignored it. 
My routine was Study, Read, TV, Eat and Sleep. I felt that I needed this rest after almost 3 years of intensive workout. I was ready to make this my daily timetable! 

However last week, my sensei messaged me. He said that since everything seems to be bettering, he wanted to start OFFLINE classes! The lil-good part was that it would only be for 45 min. I was flabbergasted, I had enjoyed almost 8 months of freedom and no pain, I really wasn't ready for everything to go back to normal. These days had become my normal, I didn't want a change!! 

My mom was beaming with joy, she was so happy that I could finally go back and do some workout. However, my dad was a little skeptical (due to safety, health, etc) but somehow he agreed. Now, I had to go back to Karate. I was super scared as I knew that I had forgotten many things. I scurried and opened youtube to binge all the Katas and Kumite techniques.

Yesterday, at 7:30, I stood ready. I wore my Karate Gi and tied my black belt (It felt nice and warm to wear it after so many days 😊). I also packed my bag. 

(Karate stuff)

Then, my dad dropped me at the Ground where my classes were held. Surprisingly, there was only one other student!! The other students would be joining later on. We both stood at least 2 meters away from each other. I wasn't allowed to open my mask, even for a puff of air. 

So, my sensei told me to practice all the movements with less power to not exhaust myself. I had forgotten a few but I remembered most of the things (that was astonishing). Those 45 minutes felt so enervating. I was sweating profusely and panting! This is what happens when one exercises after a long gap and with a mask! I yearned for water breaks. :(

Finally, the class concluded. It felt refreshing and amazing once I removed my mask. My Comeback to Karate wasn't that terrible, as I thought it would be. I just had to accept that things are like this now, Masks and Sanitizers should be a part of one's things all the time, and social distancing is gonna be a rule embedded in time forever. If Karate class was so weird, imagine how going back to school would be? 


 
But, the good part is things are becoming great!! We are in a much better state now and that is stupendous! 
 

Going back to how things were will be a major milestone that will bring tons of cheer to the whole world. This quick change was impromptu and not expected, but all that is in the past now! So let's be hopeful that the future is bright, better, and beautiful! 

 

Have a wonderful day! 


P.S- Here is an article I wrote on my journey in Karate that was published in a magazine- Kicking my way to the black belt




Comments

  1. Very nice... Enjoy the Karate practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great blog post! I know what you mean about not necessarily being excited to go back. I felt the same way with robotics but once we were aloud to meet in person again (with masks.) I felt relieved to see my friends and people other than just my family. (However, we don't have to social distance and if we want water then we can just social distance and take a sip really quick or go outside and drink some water and eat.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabella! Yes I agree, at first, everything was awkward in Karate but after more people started joining and my friends were back, It felt awesome! You do robotics? So cooolll!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I do robotics, it is a lot of fun!

      Delete
  3. I really love your graphics—I don't know if I have said this before! Seems like everything is going back to normal, but what does normal mean exactly? Normal is always changing... Great post =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maya😊! And yes, 'Normal' is always changing (a good perspective)😁

      Delete
  4. Well written article Maith, all the best for your classes...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts