Photo Haiku- Poetry with a Difference

I have been into poetry since I was very young. To improve my poetry skills every year, I pick up a new form of poetry and compose poems on that form. Last year I took up writing Haikus. Haiku is a type of short-form poetry originally from Japan. It is a three-line poem and follows a 5, 7, 5 pattern of syllables. Haikus are the most beautiful poems and unearth a lot of meaning and thoughts when studied and read carefully. In my opinion, writing long epics and sonnets are easier compared to writing short and compressed haikus.

There is a specific form of haikus that I enjoyed reading and written a few - which are Photo Haikus. These are the modern forms of Haiku mostly written in English. Images added to the Photo Haiku give a visual connection to the written words.

I was inspired by an NHK World show called 'Haiku Masters' where famous Japanese poets review and grade Photo Haikus. Sadly the show ended last year- but you can still check out the episodes from the NHK World app or website. 
Here are a few of my Photo Haikus - 

 





















Comments

  1. Hello Maitreyi,
    I am truly impressed with you blogs ever since the start. Your command on words is remarkable and very well appreciated. I appreciate your grammatical skills and wish you luck for your upcoming blogs.
    Regards,
    Yati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Yati!!! 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts